Tithebarn was built in the mid 18th century to house the tithe which was
due to the Rector of Halsall, “whose income arises from the tithes
of the Township of Halsall, Downholland, Lydiate, Male and Melling”,
to quote from “The Advowson of 1793” in Canon Bullough's book
A study of the construction of the barn reveals that originally there
were two great barn doorways facing each other. These would enable hay
carts to be driven into the barn. At harvest time the corn was brought
to the barn and stored in the side bays. During the winter months it was
gradually threshed by flailing on the hard central floor and then winnowed
by being tossed in the draught between the open doorways.
It eventually became used as a coach house when the adjacent Vicarage
was built in the 19th century and after the 1914 -18 war was rejuvenated
by local labour and used as a Parish Room.
Its renovation and extension in 1974 enabled the founding of the Arts
Association, which promotes performances of music and drama for the benefit
of the people of Melling and the surrounding area."
Taken from the notes of Dr Edward E Newton MBE